C.S. Woods of the Western Land Company founded the settlement of Dumont in 1907. A post office appeared in 1910. In 1913 Dumont was incorporated as the city of South Houston. Because of the 1913 incorporation, Houston did not incorporate South Houston's territory into its city limits, while Houston annexed surrounding areas that were unincorporated. South Houston's initial industrial activity consisted of shipping produce along the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad. The hurricane of 1915 destroyed many of the local industries. The establishment of the Houston Ship Channel resulted in the establishment of manufacturing industries inland, including in South Houston. Between the 1940s and the early 1960s South Houston found rapid population growth. The city had 7,523 inhabitants in 1960. In 1980 South Houston had 11,782 inhabitants and 303 businesses. In 1990 14,207 inhabitants lived in South Houston.
Elephants belonging to former South Houston mayor George Christy, a circus owner, assisted the construction of the Spencer Highway.
From the 1980 census to the 1990 census, Hispanics began to move into South Houston by an amount between 1,000 and 3,500 per square mile. Most Hispanics in South Houston were of Mexican descent.
- For Sale+2 more
- More Filters
- Save Search
For Sale|1,599 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.2583 acres|#32175573
For Sale|1,793 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.163 acres|#81434120
For Sale|1,770 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.163 acres|#15689274
For Rent|1,141 sqft|2 beds|1 bath|0.1584 acres|#64078998
For Sale|1,183 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.4075 acres|#77652111
For Sale|1,470 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.326 acres|#77868251
For Sale|1,057 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.163 acres|#22507681
Pending|1,464 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.163 acres|#44771905
For Sale|1,599 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.2583 acres|#79780361
Pending|1,020 sqft|2 beds|2 baths|0.0861 acres|#28401393
For Sale|1,574 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.101 acres|#9178929
Active|2,892 sqft|5 beds|3.5 baths|0.163 acres|#89105957
Active|1,025 sqft|3 beds|1.5 baths|0.163 acres|#40844395